Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 12:40:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  keeping worms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: keeping worms  (Read 6418 times)
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »

I just threw out another flat of crawlers I had from 2 weeks ago.

I have been trying to store them in the mulched up paper bedding from walmart for the last two years, with no luck.

I have played around with how damp I make the bedding, and even added food. Stored in styrofoam worm box, coolers, and paper bag.

They always get skinny and die.

I just picked up 2 nice flats a week ago, and I stored them in composted dirt from under the hemlock tree (used to use it when I was a kid) and added worm food.

I just checked them as well, and they look great. Nice and fat and lively.

How does everyone else keep there bait in great condition for long periods of time.
SBM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »

Tom, dont waste your time with mixing your own, dont work for long term. try to find some fat & sassy, works real good if you can find enough. talked with Jim Smith last time he was here said they use some kind of moss,maybe ask him about it. I am getting a new type of bedding that is like f&s? see if it works when i get it and let you know.       Steve
eyegore

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »

Read the reviews on Cabela's site for Fat and Sassy.   Mixed to say the least.  I've had good luck in the past with it but my last 10lbs was a waste of money.  Worms kept on dying and none got 'fat and sassy'.  Will think twice before I buy that again.   Who knows, I may of just gotten a bad batch.  I'll stick with what I can get at Wally World and go from there.
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:11:34 AM »

I've used "Magic Bedding" from Wally World for several yrs now with good success.  I get a little creek sand & mix with it to toughen them and store in an old fridge in garage.  Store at 40 degrees.  If using a fridge ( and you should), if it's the self defrosting type, cover them with a wet/damp feed bag (burlap), that keeps them from getting dried out and skinny.  I keep them in a styro cooler.  If I don't use them fast enough, they'll keep for a couple months this way.  In hot muggy weather, it's tough.     
fish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »

no kidden i just throw em in the back of the fridge,wife hate's it so i put them in a brown paper bag make's her feel better lol .
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length