Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 12:25:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Headin' North
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Headin' North  (Read 12896 times)
carl milks

View Profile Email
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »

Well, it's that time again- heading Nord for annual Canada fishing trip.  Just came in to take a break from vehicle prep.  Oil & filter changed, greased steering & suspension, fluid levels checked and topped, tires rotated & aired and vacuum out the pig sty- it'll be our "office" for the next few days.  Leaving Weds.  Long trip- 1195 miles one way.  May be our last with the gas prices so high.  Headed to and above an Indian villiage named Nakina, in NW Ontario, above Thunder Bay.  Nakina is about 60 miles from main camp where we check in w/outfitter, then drive another 30 miles back in bush on a single track logging road & park.  Then about a mile walk down in to what used to be a fly-in lake-now just foot travel.  Outfitter has a cabin and 2 boats down there.  No electricity, phones, no noise except us and the loons.  Eagles, osprey, bears, moose, wolves & beavers (real ones) are seen daily.  We have the entire lake to ourselves for the entire 7 days.  75-100 walleyes per man per day.  We don't keep track of pike, but it's about 1 pike for every 5 walleys.  The scenery and peace and quiet is unbeleivable.  No bass or muskies up that far.  Just 'eyes, pike, perch, lakers, brook trout and whitefish.  Well, gotta get to packing- see ya'll when I get back on the 14th!!!!!!     
Whalesback

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »

Have a safe and fun trip.
Melissa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »

have a great trip! Be safe and have TONS of fun.
Bill J

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:55:31 PM »

Have fun Carl...be safe in your travels.....will be waiting for your report on return.

Little Bill
MISSWILLOWCREEK

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:31:26 AM »

I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN A PERSON SURVIVE WITHOUT POWER, CELL PHONES, TV... CARL HOW ABOUT AIR CONDITIONING OR YOUR SO FAR NORTH YOU WILL STILL NEED YOUR LONG UNDERWEAR??? WOULD GO CRAZY!!!  IT DOES SOUND PEACEFUL THO... Roll Eyes  I WANT TO SEE YA BACK LEAN, AND FULL OF PIC'S AND STORY'S!!!  (IF YOUR FISHING WHO HAS TIME TO EAT???)  LOL!!!  BE SAFE & I'LL SEE YA!!!

SUE

PS (WHO'S GOING TO PROTECT MY ASS AT WORK WHILE YOUR VACATIONING?Huh) LMAO!!!!! Cheesy
Sherky

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »

Sounds like heaven Carl. Have a fun and safe trip.

Steve
fishing guy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:41:27 AM »

have fun carl and be safe.
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »

Howdy All.  Just got back last nite(Sun, 13th).  Wonderful trip- considering some of the misfortunes that occurred.  The actual travel was flawless, both up and back for the 2,475 miles.  We arrived @ main camp Fri nite and got checked in, ahead of schedule.  Outfitter said he left his 4 wheeler for us to haul equip down the 3/4 mile foot path to the lake, as he was busy, and he knows we know what we are doing out there(12 years).  We get to outpost and load up and haul gear down to lake to find the water higher than last year!!!  Seems they had 2 months straight of heavy rains.  Lake is backed way back into brush.  Water over dock by 6 feet!!!  And of course what goes with all that extra water? BUGS- the worst I've ever seen in all my 30 yrs of Canada fishing!!!  But, we prepare for anything.  Well, we get boat loaded and haul to where dock was.  Unload, carry everything up to cabin to find a bear had torn ALL the screens off all four sides of bldg!!!  Yes, there were as many skeeters and flies in the cabin as out.  After cutting and fitting and duct taping my bed screen I take, we got 'em chased out with coils, ect.  It's now getting dark as it's almost 11PM by now, so we decide to fire up the propane stove and lights in the cabin to cook some venison burgers, to find Yogi had also taken the liberty of chewing on the gas line outside connected to the 100 lbs propane tank, thus causing it to leak out all the contents of the tank- so now, there's no gas either!!!  So, next morning instead of fishing, had to drive back to main camp & tell outfitter.  He gathered up parts and followed us back the 30 miles to outpost.  By the time we got everything fixed and started fishing, it was afternoon.  We brought some fish in for fry to find no gas again!!!  I took the line off & found a cobweb and been inside and lodged in the oriface and regulator- so another couple hours fixing that.  When we finally got to some fishing, we did great.  The water was still very cold, no weeds at all, 'eyes were still in post spawn mode.  I caught 565 'eyes, 3 five lbers.  Tom caught 372, with 1 6 lber and a nice 8 lber.  We got blown off the lake 3 days- extremely high winds.  Temps reached a high of 60 during day, with lows of 35 at nite.  Comfortable except for rains virtually every day.  Then about mid-week, coming in from rough water, my camera decided to take a leap off my tackle box and fall into ankle deep water in boat- now it quit working.  Took quite a few pics before that happened.  Then on last day, the motor we had been using with no probs, decides to hicup and quit- I ended up tearing the fuel filter off it and back blowing thru it- got it running and finished up.  What an exciting week we had!!!!  It was so windy, the eagles were'nt flying much, the water back in brush so far, we saw no moose or bears.  I set my trail cam on the trail coming down in and we got a bear walking thru.  Further up from cam, we saw moose tracks on way out-figures.  But, I guess 937 walleye's for 2 guys in those conditions ain't all that bad!!!  We caught quite few pike too, but nothing big- 36 incher tops.  We could'nt get to half the water that produces for us- too deep.  They were ranging in shallows mostly- 9 to 15 fow.  Used harnesses, chartruese/orange  jigs with white twist tails, some cranks- they did'nt hit them too well, but we got a few.  All in all, it was a good trip.  Gas was expectedly high- $3.99 here, $3.99 in Ohio, $4.29 Michigan and $5.36 per gal in Canada.  Sure did'nt see the traffic or campers/boats while travelling that we usually do.  Outfitter said they were down, quite a few people cancelled out this year.  Be interesting to see what happens by next year.         
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

Carl,

Glad you guys made it back safetly, that's the most important part.

All the extra work there just adds for a more memorable trip.

I know you can't wait to hit the zoo.
When yuou catch 20 keepers in a day here, it will seem like more of an accomplishment than the 9 hundred plus in Canada.

Tom
J-K

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »

Sounds like you had a great time! Welcome home.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length