Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 02:12:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Planer Boards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Planer Boards  (Read 5194 times)
Whalesback

View Profile Email
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »

For those of you who use planer boards, do you prefer the inline or the masts. What do you feel are the benefits or down sides? Also, does anyone prefer dipsy divers over planer boards?
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »

When fishing Erie,  I use and prefer masts w/ boards.  I've monkeyed some with the inlines, but don't care much for the hassle of having to fight the board with the fish and then have to unclip while trying not to lose the fish.  Both have their goods and bads.  As for dipsies, I found Fishseekers to work a whole lot better, we run them off the planer boards, set for specific depths usually with harnesses, but sometimes with crankbaits too- very effective and easy to fish with. 
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:44 AM »

There's no right or wrong answer hear.

I personally run in line boards. Being a recreational and tourney fisherman, I stick to these boards.

Reasons:

Easily adjustable as far as distance away from the boat , meaning behind!!!

when running double boards on both sides with same set ups, you can read the boards as far as weeds or junk fish.

Less weight, bulky equipment in my boat.

When trolling harnesses, if the fish picks up, and then lets go without getting hooked, you can immediately drop back line to intice him to slam it, then set the hook.

Sponsored by off shore tackle.

I have never used mast and boards.

I am sure that the charters like the mast for stacking multiple lines.

In a tourney, I am not looking to catch 30 fish, I am looking for 6 bites, and using in lines keeps me more flexible, and quicker to make adjustments.

There is a learning curve, and unless you have a 8 lb eye slam the board back, it will be hard to see the fish at first. Once you learn what you are looking at , you will be amased at what different presentations you can make just by varying things with and on the board.

Off Shore Tackle also makes a tatle tale flag system designed to quickly replace their fixed flag on their boards. When adjusted right, you can tell when you pick up a piece of sea weed, a zebra muscle, or a trash fish (wite perch, etc.). it is like reverse ice fishing, you are waiting for the flag to go down instead of up.

There are many tricks when it comes to using in lines, but when you become proficient with them, you won't likely be fishing walleye tourneys with out the Off Shore boards.

There is a reason why you don't see the anglers fishing the pwt, flw, n.e.w.c., or kinzua outdoors using the masts.

Any time any one wants to discuss techniques with the in line boards, just ask, I love to get on a roll about them, just to much to type at 4:00 am.

Dipsies have there time and place, but in a tourney on erie, you probably won't see me using them, unless the fish are telling me to.

Jet divers also have there time and place, and work well off of in lines.

Tom

Melissa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

I am still in the "learning curve" for the boards. But it is fun to see the board dissappear with a huge hog on the other end!!! It is harder to bring it in haveing to take the board off half way in... but it does catch fish.
I actually prefer to use the dipsies. I use the 3 1/2 to get it away from the boat. The dipsey usually out-fishes the boards with our excurtions.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length