Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 12:57:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Kinzua Fishing reports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kinzua Fishing reports  (Read 66664 times)
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »

I fished the last couple days, and wanted to let every one know that there is a heavy bug hatch going on.

The walleyes are so fat with them, that it has slowed the bite down.

Don't get discouraged during pre fishing this week, hopefully the hatch will be over with by next weekend.

Who else has been fishing?

carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »

I was out Saturday for 6 hours- not a hit!!!!   I tried everything I know and then some.  I even trolled some cranks for awhile-nada.  Marked tons of fish, so I know they're there- just could'nt get 'em to hit.  Same thing from everyone I talked to.  Sooner or later they gotta start hitting!!!  Of course these heavy winds we've been having are'nt helping any either-virtually zero boat control.  Saturday, I had whitecaps reversing and hitting each other from opposite directions!!!  The winds were changing directions like gears on a Mack truck.  Try holding a structure with that going on!!!  C'mon Tom, do your "good weather VooDoo dance" for this Sunday's tourny!!!LOL 
J-K

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »

I fished the tailwaters saturday night and did well on the 59 side!  My 6 year old daughter caught her first walleye! It was a great night!  I think i have done well with her,she wants to go fishing as much as i do!  For some of you that were at the Dav tournament she was a blonde drawing tickets, and she was holding a sign for me at the  weigh ins. Good luck to everyone fishing the tournament this weekend!
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

CARL,

Sat was terrible as far as winds go.

The river was at 53 degrees, and the lake was at 55.

Sunday it warmed up to 60 like it was a week ago.

You will want to fish very slow, and keep it very simple as far as presentation. the fish are on bugs, keep that in mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J-K,

Glad she is enjoying the outdoors, good job.
Sherky

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »

As hard as it is to believe slow worked well for me today. A straight vertical presentation with either a short lift and drop or just dragging the jig worked. The larger fish I caught seemed to hit well.

Steve
stewcat66

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:35 AM »

If the walleye are eatin all them bugs then the weights will be up. Hope the limits are up also!!! see you sunday!!!

5 in the box
Craven

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »

Time to get the fly rods out!
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

That's the only thing I DID'NT try Saturday- FLY FISHING!!!!!   Oh-oh, now the secret's out!!!!!  Come Sunday, I'll have the fly rod ready- should I use a sinking or floating line?  Wet or dry fly???   Too many decisions!!!! Grin
5Alive
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »

Craven,
DeWayne's gonna be pissed if you keep givin' away all those secrets!  Ixnay on the flyrodsay....shhhhhhh, lol
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »

Sue and I fished the reservation end for 4 1/2 hours today.

Caught fish in a couple different places, but one was loaded. Today I saw more eyes on the screen than all season put together.

It appears as the walleye's along with the white bass are on the move.

We brought home 6 keepers for the table, and released the rest along with probably another 15 - 20 short ones.

Talked to a friend afterwards, and he said they caught 7 keepers yesterday on the res.

Fishing should keep getting better now that the water is warming up.

Tom
Bill J

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »

Great to hear that the walleye fishing is starting to pick up.

Thanks for the report. One question jigging, trolling or both.

Little Bill
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »

Third time I tried to post this.

We used jigs - 1/4 chartruse with worms, and 5' harnesses with #4 blades, holographic patterns.

Tom
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:27:19 AM »

Monday 6-9, finally got time to get out.  Launched at 0930 went up on Res.  Ran into an active pod the 1st thing and had a ball.  8 to 12 fow, trolling harnesses.  Whitecaps and 2' rollers made it a bit bumpy, but man, were they ever cracking those harnesses!!!!   Landed 18, with 12 of those being keepers, missed/lost another dozen or so!!!!   Went outside my usual 3 fish limit, kept 6 for the table- seeing how I skunked out last time!!!!  By far the best outing this year!!!!   Things are heating up.
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

Sounds like a good time other than the kinzua  (nascar) wind tunnell.

I am staqrting to get the itch bad.

If it isn't to windy, going to go to erie ths weekend. The fish are starting to bite good up there also.

tom
carl milks

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »

Ferbie (Jen) & I went out yesterday (Monday 6-16).  We hit 'em like never before this year!!!   I landed 23 with 12 keepers, Jen landed 17 with 6 keepers.  We trolled 'em for about 4 hrs til the wind changed direction and we could'nt stay on them anymore.  Then went to another spot to scout 'em out- caught a few there as well but had to quit.  We kept 3 each.  Took best 5 of the 6 when we got home and weighed out of curiosity- 11.5 lbs!!!!  We both must have lost/missed at very least a dozen more on top of what we caught.  Trolled harnesses, caught from 9 fow to 18 fow.  Went thru 4 dozen crawlers!!!    Jen had a softball game to go play so we had to quit and leave biting fish(moan)!!!  Definitely heating up.  Where the hell were all those fish for the tournys???!!!   
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length