Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2022, 05:02:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Kinzua Outdoors - Cody Frantz Memorial Results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kinzua Outdoors - Cody Frantz Memorial Results  (Read 10496 times)
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

This past Sunday marked the start of another tournament season for Kinzua Outdoors. Where the traditional opening weekend event seemed traditional, it was actually the start of something wonderful, it was the innaugural Cody Frantz Memorial Walleye Tournament, and it was fantastic.

Depite muddy river and upper lake conditions, dropping water tempatures, terrible weather conditions with high winds, rain, and cold tempature, and a river bite that was extreemely tuff unless you hit the sweet spots, anglers still showed up in force to show their support of this wonderful event.

At the start of the morning teams registering were greated by the Frantz family and given a shirt for participating in the event. When it came time to play the National Anthem we again broke from tradition and had Cody's sister in law sing it for the 45 teams from the dock. While holding back her emotions, she pushed hard to be loud enough to have the boats in the back of the bay be able to hear it in the light breeze,  it was beautiful, she did an amazing job!

Last years Team of the Year Lynn & Nate Smith lead teams out of the bay. One by one teams were signaled to go by Cody's oldest sister who flew in from Florida for this event. After all the teams left the bay in anticipation of catching the elusive eyes Myself and Dick Moore drove up the lake. It was apparent that two strategies where definetly keyed in on during the previous days pre fishing. With numbers of smaller fish in the lake, half the teams chose to stay in the lake, while the other half headed to the river in hopes of cathing a school of migrating eyes coming back down.

In the afternoon as I aproached the weigh ins at the Willows Restaraunt I was quickly amazed to see how many spectators showed up in terrible weather conditions to show their support as well for the event.

Teams started to bring their fish to the scales, and it was quickly obvious that it was definitely a tougher bite for most teams. With the average size of fish down, and many teams not catching a limit, it was going to be interesting to see who had figured it out, it was any body's tournament to win with these tough conditions.

With 45 teams competing only 13 limits were brought to the scale. Who found the right fish, who caught the kicker that would put them over the top of the rest of the teams.

At the end of the day it was the zoo's master anglers who figured out where the right fish was hiding to capture not only the victory, but also become the first winners of the innagural event. Weighing a 5 fish limit to claim the win was DeWayne Cawley and Mark Terwilliger. Their weight was anchored by the huge 5.71 lb monster eye that also won them the big fish pot. The team caught fish all day and slowly upgraded ounce by ounce, and at the end it was enough for the victory.

Top ten teams:
1.  Dewayne Cawley - Mark Terwilliger - 5 fish - 10.86 lb
2.  Ken White - Bruce White                 - 5 fish -   9.50 lb
3.  Randy Smith - Chris Smith                - 5 fish -   8.91 lb
4.  Paul Brenner - Doug Mausser            - 5 fish -   7.86 lb
5.  Matt Cook - James Depto                 - 5 fish -   7.46 lb
6.  Mike Yohe - Gary Massung                 - 5 fish -  6.92 lb
7.  Lynn Smith - Nate Smith                   - 5 fish -  6.87 lb
7.  Chuck Sabatose - Frank Mausser        - 5 fish -  6.87 lb
9.  Don Hicks - Seth Hicks                      - 5 fish -  6.62 lb
10. Brian Minich - Jim Minich                 - 5 fish -  6.47 lb

Big fish:
Dewayne Cawley - Mark Terwilliger - 5.71 pounds

Stats:
45 boats
13 limits
96 fish caught
15 fish harvested
136.04 lbs total weight
9 woman participated
6 youths participated

After the weigh ins there were many raffles that took place.

I would like to thank all the sponsors that helped the family make it possible to honor Cody in such a fantastic way as well as help Kinzua Outdoors to put on this type of an event. This event was great despite mother nature, at the end there was still plenty of food left, and every one was happy.

A special thank you to the Frantz family, each and every one of you, you are an amzing family! Every one worked hard and was comitted to making this a great day and you did, I am positive Cody was watching from above and smiling.

I want to give a "good job" to Brent Raabe. I know it took the whole family to make it happen, but you accomplished an awful lot in a short time, well done (I am going to have to kidnap you for help with the kids tournament).

We at Kinzua Outoors are honored to be allowed to share this special day with every one and have this event named after Cody. He was a special friend to me, and after yesterdays event I hope every one saw how many people he touched while he was here with us. Cody you are sadly missed but not forgotten.

I would also like to thank the Willows Restaurant and Manager Marianne Cole for allowing us the use of the property and putting the heat on in the patio so our participants could stay warm, thank you.

Also like to thank every one who helped with behingd the scenes activities: set up, tear down, organizing, working the weigh ins and food tables. It takes all of us, thank you.

Our next event will be June 22nd. Both of my circuits will be hear and if you like you may fish in both.

Please pre register!!!!!

Thank you every one for a great event,

Tom Means
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length