Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2022, 04:38:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Kinzua-Outdoors.Com forum!

+  My Community
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  my greatest gift - fishing with heroes event
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: my greatest gift - fishing with heroes event  (Read 9039 times)
Tom Means

View Profile Email
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »

This past friday I headed to Barcellona to try to find some right fish for whom ever I would be taking in my boat for the wounded soldiers - Fishing with heroes weekend. Found two areas holding fish with the one holding around 7 pound average size fish.

On Friday evening before the dinner and Saturday morning I let every one know where I had found the fish, in case the other Charter guides needed a back up to their normal areas. Most guys were talking about fish they were working in the 65 - 80 ft range, I had found them in the 105' range. I was to say the least honored and suprised that they all believed me enough to show up, and it was fun having all the boats in sight working the same small area. My soldiers were able to do some ball busting with their superior on another boat that made for some interesting conversation afterwords in my boat.

Saturday I was honored to have two soldiers in my boat, and we had a great time. We were not even out of the harbor yet, and we were all laughing, and it felt like we had been fishing together for years.

I gave them the choice to target #'s of fish or big fish, and they agreed to go for the bigger ones.

The phone rang all day with captains looking for reports on how we were catching, which the soldiers thought was really cool. I involved them from the start teaching them how we would be doing everything, and even letting them make some decisions on how far out to put lines later in the day after teaching them what we were looking at on my Lowrance. They were great, and really got into watching the lowrance, letting me know every time they saw the bigger fish, what zone it was in, and weather it was feeding or not. They even got very good at setting up the tattle flags on my boards and reading the lite bites on them (when they wouldn't move the flag).

Fishing was a little slower than I would have liked, but was what I was expecting given the wind and bright moon the previous couple days.

In the end we brought in 9 keepers, would have weighed approx 34.5 - 35 lbs for a tourney. Lost two big fish, with one of them breaking my braid line (must have nicked it) and one dove when it saw the motor cutting the line betwen the hooks. We threw back 3 other legal fish and had another 7 or 8 come un hooked at the hookset (lite biters). We chose to throw the ones back because they were small and healthy enough to release, and this would keep our slots open in case we got into the big girls, we wouldn't have to quit. We also landed 3 sheep head, 1 white Bass,1 yellow perch, and 1 white perch.

At the end of the day I was getting ready to leave when I was totally suprised. The two soldiers came up to me with their commander and gave me the greatest gift I have ever gotten. They handed me thier flag that goes on their uniform, looked me straight in the eye and thank me for a special day, and wanted me to know that the gift was from the both of them, and it was from their heart. I began to become all choked up and trying to hide that their commander instucted me to always fly it forward, and explained the meaning of it to me. To say I was touched wouldn't come close to explaining the feeling I had, and the PRIDE AND HONOR I have for that special gift, Thank You!

Gilligan,

Job well done, and to those who supported it Thank you as well.

To DKNAPPY, THE WIVES, ALL THE HELPERS, THANK YOU.

TO ALL THE SOLDIERS, THE ONES THAT PARTICIPATED IN THIS EVENT THIS WEEKEND, AND TO ALL,THANK YOU STAY SAFE, AND GOD BLESS.

Thank you again for the greatest gift!

Your Captain,

Tom Means
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length